Pin it!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Changes and more Changes!

I'm sure my husband is sick of me coming up with new and exciting things for us to do/try but hey I am at home all day w/ a little dude and sometimes my mind just wanders!

I recently averaged out how much we spend on diapers and figured out that on average we spend $800/yr not including nighttime diapers which are more and wipes and diaper pail liners. Hmmm that seems like a lot right? So I decided to do some research on reusable diapers..YUCK I know that's what you are thinking...but $800 that just fills up my garbage can and sits in a landfill, I think I can find a few other things to do with that money.

After a few hours online, talking to a few cloth-diapering friends and general advice I decided that we should have started this sooner! With me being at home I usually do 2 loads of Drew's laundry a week, so I figured lets add 2 more in that for a total of 4 loads per week..we have a very energy-efficient washer/dryer and also it has a sanitation setting so I am not worried about the germ factor. Or the Energy factor.

Pricing it out it seems that for the 1st year we are potentially saving $500...since I am spending about $300 on all the reusable diapers, inserts, wet bag, and toilet sprayer. Damn I should have registered for this shit! Then the 2nd year which odds are he will still be in diapers we will save a little less than $800, although I really don't see our energy costs skyrocketing. Then of course if we decide on a 2nd child we will also use them for him/her and save.

The big issue is that again every baby is different...soooo since Drew is a massive Pee-r we really need some absorbent shiznit. Also I wanted a diaper to grow with him since he's already at the halfway point. I also didn't want to spend a million dollars per diaper since I really am hoping it will work out but again if it doesn't I have to be prepared for that. I found BumGenius 4.0 diapers, which I also had two referrals from other moms.



These diapers are actually about $18/each which is on the low-end for a diaper that goes from Newborn to 35lbs! The snaps are heavy duty, the colors and feel of the diaper are nice and the inserts are SUPER absorbent, you actually snap the inserts also (according to size of baby) so it's like a double insert on the one end and I put that where his little wiener is since that's where the pee comes out of..DUH! I also tried a Gbaby insert and he peed right through that bad boy so I'm going to have to double up on those badboys.

I also haven't tried them at night because I'm nervous, he is already sleeping like crap lately..possibly teething AGAIN. So I really don't want to mess with it. But I will keep you posted.

So I had about a million questions that I kept pestering my friends with...maybe you have them also? How many do I need in a day roughly, Do I change the cover every time or just the insert, Do I just throw the poopy's in a bag and into the washer,

Well I have some answers for ya...first off they are a little bulky so the only complaint is that for girls it's kind of hard to fit in with skinny jeans or tight pants...fyi. Also you do not change the cover every time just for poops, the pees you just change out the insert and put it back on and I was suprised how dry the cover actually is even with the insert being soaked so it makes sense. That being said you will need as many covers as your child poops. Breastfed babies poop very often so at least 5-6 I would say. The poopy's are fun, you get a diaper sprayer installed off of your toilet in your bathroom, when you get a poop you spray off the poop before putting the soiled diaper in a wet bag and flush the little turdies down. My one friend suggests actually installing a kitchen sprayer instead because they are better quality. You need to purchase a wet bag so you can throw your diapers/inserts in there on a daily basis, one that hangs off the door is probably the easiest option, and also laundry detergent made for the reusable diapers.

Read the care instructions on your diapers, mine said to wash w/ their detergent...of course...but once a month throw a cup of bleach in there. So no need to bleach every time :) Then you might want to think about wipes, they have a bunch of options for that too, they make spray that you can just spray and wipe w/ a dry cloth or they have a warmer where you make a solution and put the wipes in there, etc. I am going to stick to the disposables for now...baby steps ya know!

Next week I will update you on also trying Peapod for the first time and seeing if it puts my impulse-buys at bay :)

~Candace
#reusablediaper #bumgenius #clothdiaper

No comments:

Post a Comment