Pin it!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Registry..What do I REALLY need?

Coming from a first-time Mom I had no fricken clue what all I needed for my pooping/peeing/sleeping bundle of joy. So I looked to the Internets! I wrote list after list so I could be "prepared" HA, what's that?! And I had hoped to not make any extra trips up to the baby store being 30+ weeks pregnant after my shower.

It's funny how every website/blog is different on the things you need, makes for a hellava hard time to make a list of any sort. Here's my breakdown..I call it the Cheater Mom's List

1. Onesies-LOTS of em, they are the all-good-and-mighty. Drew was born in the summer so that's all he wore it was great, put that sucker on and we are out the door. Then in the Winter you can layer those under sweaters, or under long-sleeved shirts w/ pants and call it a day. But you need LOTS since they have diarrhea for like the first 4 months.
2. Bibs...like a million of them, esp. if you little one spits up like Drew does and you will need them when teething begins otherwise you will go through MORE soaked onesies.
3. PJ's...that ZIPPER and have feet...1 piece, none of that 3 piece jazz..although Super cute; highly impractical especially for late night diapering.
4. Burp clothes or swaddle blankets..(I wouldn't buy the swaddlers...your baby might not like them and then you have a bunch you have no use for, buy the blankets that way you can use them for burp rags) again for the spitting up, you can NEVER have too many...like for real...go buy another package right now.
5. Infant carseat/stroller...best purchase I made was a stroller where the carseat just clicks in...it's super lightweight and easy to manage, cuz when they're young they don't do anything so that thing is perfect. Also it's small enough if you go to a restaurant you can just wheel him right in.
6. Diaper bag...buy the fricken biggest one you can find...although it seems crazy you will NEVER have enough room, mine isn't big enough so I have like 3 bags I carry...annoying!
7. Paci's..this is hard...although you need these right out of the gate you never know which one your baby will really enjoy...buy 1 package of like 2 different brands...find his/her fave and then go and buy a few packages of that size, and the next size up...does a few sound crazy? Here's the breakdown..one for the carseat...one for grandma/grandpa's..one for the living room, their bedroom, one for your purse in an emergency. Then when they get old enough to grab it and fling it places you will need like 2 extra packages, right now I have 3 lined up on Drew's crib..cuz he takes em out and flings em under his crib in the middle of the night..?
8. Changing table, or PackNplay with changing table..we actually had one with wheels and we wheeled it into the living room when he was very young (boring) and then wheeled it in our room to sleep for the first 7 weeks before his crib.
9. Crib..DUH Alot are converters which is nice cuz then you will have his bed when he gets older..make sure to buy the conversion kit..which I still haven't done.
10. Boppy...make feeding, laying and sitting fun and easy. We just now are done using it and he's 8mo old so I think that was a good purchase.
11. Glider...although I was skeptical we also put that in our room when he was first born for nighttime feedings and every night I rock him in there while giving him his bottle before bed.
12. Diapers/wipes...A TON, in the first few months that little one will need to be changed 8-10 times per day..you do the math..however you might want to ask around or buy some small packs to find out the ones you prefer. My fave are Huggies Pure & Natural, they feel like cloth, not like a plastic diaper.

Ok those are the big Must-haves. Those you can gladly put on your registry for OTHER people to buy for you. Now, here's some extra shizzle you might/might not want to put on there, but also are good to have.

Bottles, even if breastfeeding there will be times when you will want to run to the store and it's so much easier that way. Breast pump, but read my post before buying one HERE
Bottle cleaner, drying rack, dishwasher basket. Laundry soap, dryer sheets, scratch mittens, hangers, gas drops, Tylenol, nipple cream, padded bras or some sort of protection against flailing arms when your nipples are raw, flowy clothes for yourself, think Moo-Moo's and robes. Hair ties, prenatals, some sort of bathtub and accessories for baths. Formula-again just in case if you are breastfeeding. Toys, teethers, some sort of baby bjorn for walks, socks for the little one, shoes if it's going to winter, food...for you...have like a casserole party and have all your friends over to make freezer meals for you. Or you can live on Trailmix like I did. Hamper, Storage bins since they grow out of their clothes in a blink of an eye...or if you aren't keeping them large garbage bags so you can send em off to Goodwill or whatever. A few seasons of your favorite show just for the first few months...I don't nap so I would go about my zombie-like state and watch episodes while he slept.

That should get you going for now! In the beginning plan on 2-3 outfits per day...I know it's Crazzzaayy! Did I leave anything out? Happy Registry-ing :)

~Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment