Pin it!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Sentiments...Not for me.

Growing up my parents were always sentimental, keeping my trophies, ribbons, scribbles on napkins...a lot of stuff I would have thrown away. I am trying to be better since I now have a son and maybe he might be interested in something years and years from now that he made or did. I already threw out his wristband from the Hospital...I know I'm bad! So I'm going to try to keep his lock of hair from his first haircut even though I think it's a little creepy...and don't even get me started on teeth...I think I will just draw a picture of it or something. This Christmas my mom gave us a children's book that I had written we think in 3rd or 4th grade, and it was for Andrew, for me to read to him now...it was SO NICE. Like the best gift we received this year hands down. I had totally forgotten about it and looking back realized HEY I was a pretty good drawer! :) But seriously it's little things like that that really pull on your heart strings and I hope I will keep some of his stuff around so I can then pass it to him to pass to his future kids..if he has any.
We annoyed each other so much that we had to make a third person.

Rewind a little bit to registering for our wedding. Keeping with the sentimental theme I did not register for any "china" or items that said "Mr. & Mrs. Circa 2012" or like fine silver or any of that jazz...because I'm just not like that, I look for functionality and knowing that we were moving to a condo we weren't going to have the room for all that sentimental crap :) I wanted my plates and flatware from Crate and Barrel and that was it! But now I am starting to see the bigger picture because we received a ton of sentimental items for the baby shower, tons of hand-made blankets, quilts, needle-points, all really cool shit that I am finding I really love and can't wait to tell him one day "hey you remember so and so well they made this for you" in this day and age it's almost more money to actually make something than purchase it off the internet, which sort of sucks.

My husband on the other hand is a little TOO sentimental, keeping his jersey from his high school football team...please I threw out my soccer jersey like the year I graduated. He kept all his awards, trophies, certificates, and still has just regular CLOTHES that he wore in high school...hmmm I think that last part is actually part-hoarder. Maybe those were his good-ole days when he didn't have to worry about mortgage payments and sleeping through the night?! He even tries to be sentimental with MY stuff...when I go through my closet and finally get rid of those collared shirts I haven't worn in 5 years he goes to me "well you might want to wear them someday" like someday when all the thread is deteriorated and it smells like a mothball from the rotting fabric? The buttons are rusted over and turn to dust? Yea maybe I will...but throwing shit out just makes me feel so damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment