Pin it!

Monday, February 10, 2014

FML....I mean FMLA

Anyone in the workplace about to have a baby has to do the dreaded FMLA paperwork along w/ pretty much not making anything while they are on leave...and that's IF your employer graciously lets you take the time off (companies under 50 employees do not have to secure your position for you while you are away). Mine threw it in my face several times..that he was "so nice" for "letting" me leave for 3 months and come back to my position...whatever fuckface. I was taking that time either way...it didn't matter if I had a job when I got back or not, sorry I'm not one of those psycho's that after 6 weeks everything is hunky dory.

Here's my issue with our wonderful countries FMLA laws...First off, this is supposedly the "greatest country", land of the free and opportunity..where you can voice your opinion, vote, equal rights...blah blah blah...but DON'T expect to have a child and get any kind of reimbursement or extended time off your job after the birth...in fact you really should be checking out childcare while your little one is in utero. Isn't that insane?! How depressing is planning for someone else to care for your child before he/she is even born?!

So for instance Germany...those bitches get 42 weeks of PAID leave along with 120 weeks of unpaid leave...WTF!!! Can I just go to Germany for like 2 years and reap those benefits? Holy Cannoli. And the US at the bottom of the totem pole; 12 weeks of UNPAID leave....how fricken gracious of you. Not like we need to heal physically/emotionally and care for a newborn or anything...NAW just pop that little shit out and lace up those boots; back to the workplace you go. I mean I totally get it, we aren't at work, however we are doing an awesome thing..and I feel like our country should follow suit a little..I mean we aren't even competing with any of these countries. Why do you think so many people are on wellfare after they have kids...planned or not.





So I got something like 60% of my pay for 6 weeks while I was out (which again was thrown in my face because it's not something the company "has" to do for me)...then I was also paying for our entire families Health Insurance out of my paycheck. So basically I got nothing while I was out because I just had to pay that back once I started again and had to make up for all the medical payments while I wasn't getting a paycheck. FML is right! The only good thing that came out of that is we realized how we DIDN'T need my income to survive..and that's when the wheels started turning :)

And I know everyone has their opinions about the whole Obamacare thing...however I would just like to add...this gave me the freedom to quit my job..Matts job doesn't offer health insurance at all..so we were dependent on my shitty ass position for our health insurance. Once we were able to go online and select a plan ourselves..it was GOODBYE shitty job! So if that is the only good story you will hear out of all of it..let me tell you how happy I am that I have that option.

~Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment